March 23, 2020
COVID-19 Update – March 23, 2020
Good Afternoon CMMOTA Members
Once again, the landscape across the country has been changing rapidly today regarding COVID-19. Please be aware that while we are constantly monitoring things, and providing updates through our Facebook pages, there is a responsibility on each of our members to know what is going on in your individual jurisdictions. As we have seen today, things are changing. Here is a summary.
The following Provincial or Territorial Governments have either ordered the closure or cessation of massage therapy, at this time these include: British Columbia, New Brunswick, Northwest Territories, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Yukon. If you are currently practicing in one of these locations that has ordered the closure of massage therapy, you must close your practice until further notice. It is important for you to know that the professional liability insurance that is provided through CMMOTA and our insurance broker Dusyk and Barlow will not apply for any treatment that you would deliver through the governments mandated closure.
If you are a CMMOTA member from Alberta, Manitoba, or Nunavut as of right now the Provincial or Territorial Governments in those jurisdictions have not restricted massage therapy. CMMOTA would ask that you keep yourselves apprised of the situation in your current location. Here are the links to those sites:
Again, in these areas CMMOTA is strongly recommending your voluntary compliance with our recommendation that all members of CMMOTA consider immediately postponing your scheduled client appointments and immediately close your practice until the COVID-19 Health Crisis has passed. Because of the nature of COVID-19 and the length of time that a carrier of the disease may be asymptomatic, as a practicing therapist, you are at a higher risk of coming into contact or spreading this virus because of close contact with your clients. We understand that this is not a decision to be taken lightly and appreciate your attention to this matter.
IF CMMOTA Members Continue to Practice:
In addition to following the CMMOTA Standards of Practice regarding Infection Control, we ask that you use either 70% Alcohol (no higher or lower) or Lysol Disinfectant wipes on all surfaces that may have been exposed to droplets. This must be done between each and every client.
Additionally – IF YOU ARE DISPLAYING ANY SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19 infection – YOU MUST CANCEL ANY APPOINTMENTS AND SELF ISOLATE. DO NOT PREFORM TREATMENT IF YOU ARE SYMPTOMATIC!
To find out what the symptoms are, if you are in any way feeling sick please take the self evaluation test by following this link: https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Journey/COVID-19/Pages/COVID-Self-Assessment.aspx
Additionally – YOU MUST commence active and passive screening of clients. This should be done over the phone or by email before any upcoming appointment. Pre-screening should include the following questions:
1. Have you traveled outside of Canada or been in close contact with someone who has traveled outside of Canada in the past two weeks?
2. Are you feeling unwell or sick in any way?
3. Is anyone in your household sick or unwell in any way?
4. Have you been in contact with anyone who is currently self-isolating because of COVID-19?
· A close contact is defined as a person who: Provided care for the individual, including healthcare workers, family members or other caregivers, or who had other similar close physical contact with the person without consistent and appropriate use of personal protective equipment OR Lived with or otherwise had close prolonged contact (within 2 meters) with the person while the person was infectious OR Had direct contact with potentially infectious bodily fluids of the person (e.g. was coughed or sneezed on) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment.
Additionally – IF A CLIENT COMES TO YOUR CLINIC AND DISPLAYS SIGNS OF SICKNESS – PLEASE DO NOT TREAT THEM! Send them home and tell them that they need to take the Self Evaluation Test that is available at https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Journey/COVID-19/Pages/COVID-Self-Assessment.aspx
Additionally – We ask that your clinic strictly adhere to the following recommendations from Alberta Health Services regarding the cleaning of Public Facilities: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/info/ppih/if-ppih-covid-19-environmental-cleaning-public-facilities.pdf
Additional resources for information regarding the COVID-19 and best practices in a health care setting can be found here:
What other safety precautions can I take?
· Wash your hands with soap and water often – for at least 20 seconds.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
· Disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces/
· Cover your nose and mouth with your elbow or a tissue when coughing or sneezing, if you use a tissue dispose of it in the garbage.
· DO NOT Shake hands with anyone.
· Distance yourself – it is suggested during this crisis that you maintain a 2 meter or 6 foot distance between people when in public.
Continue to check out our Facebook page for updates. Stay Healthy!
The CMMOTA Team